Saturday, March 10, 2012

Inexpensive Date Ideas

Today I am going to answer a question we got from a reader: “What are some cheap dates or outings that my husband and I could do for some free time?” In John Gottman’s book, The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work, he discusses the “emotional bank account” that we fill with emotional savings to be able to turn towards each other, instead of away, when life gets stressful or there is a particular incident occurring. He goes on to discuss that we fill our emotional bank account by doing activities together and communicating. As newlyweds you may have a tighter budget, particularly if you are still in school or needing to make large purchases such as a home or cars. The good news is that I have worked on a list of things my husband and I enjoy doing that are free, or close to free and I have also found a few resources that offer fun date ideas.

· Go on walks through your neighborhood or find a nearby trail to hike, if you live close to some.

· Pack a picnic and a Frisbee/baseball/football and have dinner and a game in the park

· Dollar movies. (or $2 movies if you live by us.. false advertising I tell ya!)

· Have a movie marathon. Buy your favorite treats, pile every blanket and pillow you own on the floor and watch some movies.

· Find any museums or galleries that offer discount or free days to the public.

· Read books to each other.

· Visit historical buildings and homes in your city. Some may offer tours so you can call ahead and make reservations if needed.

· Play video games together (my husband’s favorite).

· Visit the planetarium. Most offer free admissions except to the shows.

· This website has listings of all free admission days for Utah Museum of Fine Art, Red Butte Garden, Hogle Zoo, Museum of Natural History and Discovery Gateway Children's Museum http://www.zap.slco.org/zapArts/html/generalInfo/freeEvents.html

· Nifty Date Ideas has TONS of dates broken up into categories depending on what kind of mood you may be in that day! http://www.niftydateideas.com/

· Groupon is a great way to save on more expensive dates and outings. www.groupon.com

I really enjoyed this article, http://foreverfamilies.byu.edu/Article.aspx?a=157 I think this does a very good job at explaining the benefits of couples spending time together and why it matters. I keep it bookmarked and reread it every once in a while to help remind me of important things. My list is just the beginning of activities that will help you build memories and save money. I hope these ideas can give you some inspiration for your own dates. What are some fun dates that you enjoy?

Gottman, J. M., & Silver, N. (1999). The seven principles for making marriage work. New York: Three Rivers Press.

7 comments:

Up All Night said...

This is an excellent analysis with many good websites. I look forward to using the dating websitrs for my teen children, and recommending them to new parents as inexpensive ways to keep their relationship alive and well..

Anonymous said...

College students always seem to be strapped for money. It seems like it comes with the territory. I really enjoyed this post because it not only works with newlyweds but also couples who want to spend time together but cannot afford to do anything expensive. Your suggestions are inspiring and reinforce the idea that couples need to do new and exciting things together, in order to maintain the spark in their relationship and that it is possible to do so without going into debt for your loved one.

Janey said...

I love this post! I think its so funny when I ask my guy friends why they aren't going on dates and they answer with "It's too expensive." I'm glad you listed a few websites that also have a lot of great ideas. I think some of the most fun dates I've been on have been the least inexpensive. I think the most important thing is to have a good time and be able to spend time with the person who you wan to be with. Thank you!

Chris said...

Great ideas. These ideas translate well if you have children, so you can use these for many years to come. I think the key is to approach the experiences with an open mind and an attitude of fun.

Up All Night said...

Taryn, I am the Up All Night that made the comment about using the date websites for my teen children. Cheryl R.

Up All Night said...

I never knew that there were "free days" at the Hogle Zoo and Tracy Aviary! Thank you so much for sharing. Great tip! I also agree that it is more important to spend time together than to go on expensive dates!

-Bergen

College Dating said...

These are great date ideas! Dates don't have to be always dinner outs but must be fun as well. Great post you got here. Thanks for the information that you've shared with your readers. :)

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting